Administrative Procedure 358
The school bus driver is responsible for the safety of all students on his/her bus. The school bus is an extension of the classroom, and therefore classroom conduct is to be observed at all times.
When disciplinary action becomes necessary, it is expected that the bus driver, the Principal or designate and the student’s parents will work together to find a solution.
1. In all disciplinary situations, the principle of progressive discipline shall apply.
2. Whenever possible, bus drivers are expected to resolve disciplinary situations with the students themselves.
3. If the bus driver is not able to resolve a disciplinary situation with a student, the driver is then expected to involve the student’s parents.
4. In the event the situation can still not be resolved, the bus driver shall involve the student’s principal or designate.
5. Events that require or may require disciplinary action shall be documented using the Student Misconduct Report.
6. Bus drivers may discipline students. Only Principals may suspend students from school or from the school bus.
7. Suspensions and expulsions of students from riding the school bus must be communicated to the Manager of Transportation Services and the bus driver prior to taking effect.
8. Disciplinary issues shall be reported, using the Student Misconduct Report, to the Principals of the respective schools who shall be responsible for the discipline of their students. Private and separate school students who are riding in a Wild Rose School Division No.66 bus shall obey the same rules and regulations as the students of the Wild Rose School Division. All bus drivers should have a supply of the four-part form--Student Misconduct Report
9. Bus Rules:
9.1 The driver is in full charge of the school bus at all times and students shall obey him/her promptly and respectfully
9.2 The driver shall assign a seat for which the student shall be held responsible and he/she shall retain this seat until directed otherwise by the driver
9.3 Students are responsible to be on time at the bus stop
9.4 Unnecessary conversation with the driver is prohibited
9.5 Classroom conduct is to be observed on the bus and any disturbance, which may take the driver’s attention and endanger the safe operation of the bus, is prohibited
9.6 There shall be no tobacco products, drugs/controlled substances, contraband or weapons on any school bus
9.7 Students shall not litter the bus or throw anything out the bus windows
9.8 Students shall not extend any part of their body out the windows
9.9 Students shall remain seated while the bus is in motion
9.10 Students shall leave the bus at their regular stops unless a note from the parent is presented to the driver requesting a drop-off at another regular stop
9.11 When leaving the bus, Students shall observe the directions of the driver and watch for traffic before crossing the road
Reviewed: August, 2011
Next Review by: August, 2016
School Act Section 12, 24, 25, 45(8), 60, 61
Policy 11 Delegation
AP 350 Student Behaviour and Conduct
AP 354 Suspension/ Expulsion of Students