Administrative Procedure 400
Criminal Record Check and Intervention Record Check
As part of our responsibility to provide students with a safe learning environment, Wild Rose School Division requires Criminal Record and Intervention Record Checks of all employees.
“clear” the term used to indicate that a criminal or intervention record check has no indication of past behaviour that would limit or prevent the employment of an applicant.
Criminal Record and Intervention Record Checks
Normally, prior to any offer of employment being made to an applicant, the individual will be required to submit a satisfactory and recent (within 6 months) original (or verified copy of the original) Criminal Record Check (inclusive of a Vulnerable Sector Query) and an original (or verified copy of the original) Intervention Record Check.
In the event that either of the checks is not “clear” the Superintendent of Schools, or designate, may either request further information from the applicant or reject the application, in his or her absolute discretion. If additional information respecting a Check is requested, and is not fully satisfactory to the Superintendent of Schools, or designate, at his or her absolute discretion, no offer of employment will be made.
In the event that circumstances warrant the making of an offer of employment prior to receipt of the required Checks, and further information in relation to them is requested, the employment is temporary and conditional upon receipt of the checks and other information as may be required all of which must be fully satisfactory to the Superintendent of Schools, or designate, in his or her absolute discretion, and if not, the employment may be terminated summarily at any time.
Required Checks shall be submitted within 20 (working days) of the date of conditional hire.
The cost of providing the Checks and any further information is solely that of the applicant.
By applying for a position with Wild Rose School Division the applicant agrees to and accepts the foregoing conditions.
1. Individuals who do not provide the required information at any stage of the hiring process, or who appear to be secretive, evasive or vague, regarding provision of required information may be advised that no further consideration will be given to their application for lack of information / cooperation.
2. Prior to taking any action under Step 1, the individual, if other than the Superintendent or the Deputy Superintendent will obtain the concurrence of the Superintendent of Schools, or designate before taking such action, if reasonably possible in all the circumstances.
3. Only in unusual or emergent circumstances should employment be offered prior to receipt of the checks, and other information that maybe required. Any offer of employment in such circumstances must clearly state in the contract of employment that the employment is conditional and temporary and will expire in any case on a set date, not more than three months from the date of hire, and may be terminated summarily at any time. The contract should also state that upon receipt of the Checks or other information required the employment will be reviewed and that if all information received is fully satisfactory to the Superintendent of Schools, or designate, in his or her absolute discretion a further offer of employment may be made.
4. In the event that a Check reveals anything other than being “clear” the Superintendent of Schools, or designate shall be advised and the Superintendent of Schools, or designate may take whatever action appears appropriate in all the circumstances.
5. No appeal of any decision under this Administrative Procedure shall be considered.
6. In the event of any uncertainty as to the information that has been provided, the decision maker will err on the side of caution it being the intent of this Administrative Procedure to achieve as close to a zero risk for students as is reasonably and practicably possible.
7. A Criminal Record Check can be obtained at a Royal Canadian Mounted Police Station or city police station. An Intervention Record Check can be obtained from a Provincial Child Welfare Office.
Revised: December 3, 2008
Reviewed: April, 2012
Next Review By: July, 2016
School Act Section 60, 61, 62
Personal Information Protection Act
Policy 11 Delegation