Administrative Procedure 361
The Division endorses Alberta Education requirements with respect to course challenges which states:
"Any student who is registered in senior high school and who believes that he or she already possesses the knowledge, skills and attitudes prescribed by the “Program of Studies” for a course, shall be allowed to demonstrate these learnings through special assessment opportunities."
The following procedures also apply to students in Wild Rose School Division:
1. Principals shall develop procedures for implementing Course Challenges in consultation with the School Council and Student Union, or other recognized student body.
2. Procedures shall be consistent with the Guide to Education ECS to Grade 12 requirements on course challenges.
3. School procedures shall outline clearly the availability of, and the process to be used for challenged courses. The process shall include how a mark is to be determined.
4. Principals shall have in place appropriate course challenge assessment procedures for developing such in the event a student elects to use this option.
5. Senior high students and parents will be made aware of these procedures on an annual basis, through normally accepted communication processes at the beginning of the year and/or semester.
6. Disputes, shall be resolved through reference to Administrative Procedure 380 –Student Appeals.
Reviewed: August, 2011
Next Review by: August, 2016
School Act Section 18, 20, 23, 39, 49, 60, 61, 62
Guide to Education K-12
Policy 11 Delegation
AP 362 Assessment and Reporting of Student Achievement
AP 380 Student Appeals