Administrative Procedure 133
School Lock Down
Wild Rose School Division provides a safe and secure learning environment for its students. Principals and staff shall refer to the Emergency Response Manual for specific information and procedures.
The Principal shall determine which doors are to remain open during class time. In the event of an emergency there may be the necessity to lock down the entire school. Each school shall have in place and practice lockdown procedures.
In the event of an emergency the Principal or designate shall alert staff and students to return to the nearest classroom, lock the door and remain inside until instructed to come out. The school will use one of the following two procedures
Administrative Lockdown Procedure:
The Administrative Lockdown Procedure is used in situations where imminent danger is not in play, but students need to be kept in class and not in the hallways (i.e. a situation or a threat that is outside but near the community; could be a dangerous animal around). The Principal shall ensure that
1. the doors are locked, attendance is taken, the school office is aware of missing students.
2. teaching continues as usual, and
3. communication with all stakeholders (Superintendant, etc)is initiated.
Emergency Lockdown Procedure
1. The Emergency Lockdown Procedure means something has or is happening and everyone needs to hide and take cover. The Principal shall:
a. Use intercom or use e-mail to inform staff of the situation and to obtain information (i.e. student location and absences, etc).
b. Call 911 or the local emergency number.
c. Ensure that all doors are locked.
d. Inform Superintendant’s office.
2. Classroom Teachers shall:
a. Lock their classroom doors, leave their lights on and close blinds if applicable;
b. Keep students away from exposed areas (doors and windows).
c. Restrict usage of cellular phones (ask to turn off, keep as quite as possible).
d. Await announcement to resume regular activities. (All Clear).
3. Any students outside of the school building or not in the proximity of the classroom must take the shortest route to a pre-arranged designated safe point.
4. The R.C.M.P. shall give the “all clear” to each classroom in person.
5. Formal attendance shall be taken once the all clear is given.
6. All official communications to media will be through the office of the Superintendent for Wild Rose School Division.
Created: February 16, 2010
Reviewed: November, 2011
Next Review by: November, 2016
Section 18, 20, 27, 60, 61, School Act
Policy 11: Delegation
Wild Rose School Division Emergency Response Manual, In Place Sheltering